Thursday, October 21, 2010

White River, Mpumalanga, South Africa (say that five times fast)

Well, after over 24+ hours of travel time I finally made it to SA yesterday.  My jet lag isn't near as bad as I thought it would be, but I'm still working a little to get on SA time.  We're 8 hours ahead here.  So far things have been uneventful for me.  Mostly reading and spending time with one of the teams that is here on their mission trip.  Next week there is a team from Germany coming in that I will be trying to spend some time with in the villages doing work.  The weather hasn't been bad.  It's the beginning of the rainy season here so the rains at night have been keeping the temperatures cooler during the day.  It's actually considerably cooler then back home right now.  I'm beginning to read "Life Together" one of Deitrich Bonhoeffer's works and I should have a few things to post about it in the next couple of days.

Hopefully I will be able to post every few days or so.  The internet is somewhat slow and expensive.  Interesting fact - It costs almost $50 for a GB of internet here.  The average American uses around 30GB worth of internet per day.  So for those of you doing the math at home that means that it would cost you around $1,500 a day to do what you normally do on the internet.  That's a round trip ticket from Lubbock to South Africa.  So, needless to say I'll be posting when I can but it may be several days apart.  That's it from SA right now.  Hope everyone has a good weekend.

1 comment: