Saturday, October 30, 2010

Mbonisweni & Dwaleni

Well, it's been a crazy but good week this week.  I wrote earlier about the situation in Kabokweni and the situation is very much the same in the other communities that I've visited and worked in this week.  We've been helping with feeding programs in all of the communities of Kabokweni, Mbonisweni, and Dwaleni this week.  The kids are great.  We've been having a lot of fun hanging out and playing with them.  Many of the kids and people in the village speak some English, and all of them either speak Afrikaans or their native language of Seswati (hope I spelled that right).  So, I've been working on my Seswati some so I can understand what some of them are saying and I must say that it's considerably different than English or Spanish so I've had a difficult time getting it.  It's been fun learning though.  Most of the kids are fascinated with my beard.  They've been calling me and one of the other guys with me Indrebe which means beard in Seswati.  They've also been rubbing on my arms a lot because they're intrigued by the hair on them.  I guess they're not entirely used to seeing people like me around.  The relationships that they have with the local church in Mbonisweni and Dwaleni are very good and I hope that we'll be able to spend some more time getting to know that pastor and the rest of the church.  Other than working this week I was able to spend some time in Kruger Park on a night safari with a few people from one of the missions teams.  I think I'm addicted.  It's not every day that you can just drive into a park and see lions, leopards, and baboons.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to spend some more time in the park seeing some more of the wildlife.  That's pretty much what's going on right now.  I'm gearing up to take a trip down to Cape Town next week to see some more of the country side before coming back and doing more work in the villages.  If you haven't been seeing my posts on Facebook you should go check out my photos.  I've been taking a ton of them so everyone can follow what I've been seeing here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment